The Perfect Wall
A Focus on Performance and Aesthetics
Sto understands the importance of the building envelope when it comes to designing buildings. That’s why Sto wall envelope solutions include all five planes of control needed for protecting the building and creating buildings that are energy efficient, durable, safe, and sustainable while still providing aesthetic appeal.
The concept of The Perfect Wall was first noted by Building Science Corporation in 2010.
Rollover to see more information.
Air & Moisture Control
The thermal performance of a building relies on more than just the insulating properties of the materials used. Whether or not the building is air and weather tight can have a considerable effect on thermal performance. A drafty, leaky building will undermine efforts to insulate, as heat will escape through the gaps that cause drafts and leaks. Preventing moisture from getting inside the wall assembly is also paramount as it helps reduce the risk of mold, mildew and the accompanying health hazards. The StoGuard® family of liquid-applied air and moisture barrier products helps seal the building envelope and is a key component of all Sto high performance wall systems.
- Wall assembly air leakage less than 0.04 cfm/ft2 at 1.57 psf (0.2 L/s•m2 at 75Pa) when tested in accordance with ASTM E2357
- Potential savings of 40% in heating and cooling costs as per study by the Department of Energy.*
- Low CO2 emissions.
*US DOE 2008 Building Energy Data Book Section 1.1.1 2008
Heat loss can significantly affect the cost of operating a building, as well as the comfort of those inside. Energy codes prescriptively require the use of continuous insulation in wall assemblies for commercial and residential construction in most climate zones. Sto has more than 40 years of experience and practical application of insulated wall systems, which means that you can rely on us to provide the right solution for your needs. Thermally insulating the exterior of the wall structure with continuous insulation makes good technical sense on a number of levels.
- The building is figuratively wrapped in a thick, well-insulated and protective blanket.
- The effects of thermal bridging are nullified and the detailing to achieve high thermal performance is greatly simplified.
- When combined with high performance finishes, the insulation layer keeps the wall structure warm and dry. This further improves its thermal performance.
- The use of sufficient thickness of continuous insulation on the outside of the wall maintains the temperature of the building wall structure above the ‘dew point’, effectively dealing with the potential for condensation caused by water vapor diffusion.
- Compliance with latest standards and codes (ASHRAE 90.1-2019 and IBC, IRC and IECC – 2018 and 2021)
Durability & Surface Protection
This layer provides a resilient lamina connected to durable and high-performance finish surfaces that meet the technical and aesthetic demands placed on the building. Through form, material, color and texture each building can have its own distinctive appearance and character and protect the building. Sto offers a variety of finish layers surfaces including:
- Resin cast products that are lightweight, flexible and easy to apply
- Glass panels in custom sizes, shapes and printed designs
- Masonry veneer facades that include thin brick, natural stone, cultured stone or ceramic tiles
- Wide range of decorative and protective wall finishes which can be produced in virtually unlimited colors.
- Full range of high-performance coatings that provide superior fade resistance and UV resistance, excellent weatherability and protection against algae, mold and mildew.
- Design versatility of textured or smooth metallic finish
- iQ Technology family of coatings inspired by natures that deliver improved function through optimized product attributes
Building codes are established, primarily, to provide life safety to the building occupants, and fire protection is a significant aspect of the codes. Buildings must have wall assemblies that meet the strict requirements of state and municipal codes in the United States, which are based largely on the IBC and IRC. Sto has invested heavily in full-scale fire tests to verify performance of its wall systems and compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
- ICC Evaluation Reports are available that attest to the rigorous fire testing Sto has performed on its wall systems.
- Sto products are Class A rated materials when tested in accordance with ASTM E 84 for Flame Spread and Smoke Development.
- Sto wall assemblies that contain combustible insulation or other combustible components meet the requirements of:
– NFPA 285 fire testing designed to evaluate the fire performance of wall assemblies with combustible insulation or other combustible components for use in noncombustible type construction
– NFPA 268 fire testing designed to assess the potential for a fire in one building to ignite an adjacent building
– ASTM E 119 fire testing designed to establish the hourly fire resistance rating of the wall assembly
Sustainable and responsible action is part of our corporate philosophy. That is why thermal insulation is particularly close to our hearts. Sto high-performance wall systems provide superior air and weather tightness, and excellent long-lasting thermal performance, thus helping lower energy costs and reducing the carbon footprint of buildings.
- Sto exterior insulated wall systems outperform other claddings– such as brick or stucco–in terms of production energy, heating/cooling energy, solid waste, and greenhouse-gas emissions over a full 50 year life-cycle period.*
- The high R-value of our insulated wall systems minimizes heating/cooling costs and reduces greenhouse gas emissions, thus making our systems truly sustainable.
- Our lightweight insulated wall panel systems create less solid waste in production and at end-of-life than heavier claddings such as brick or stucco.
- Some of our system components are recyclable or contain recycled content that can assist with LEED points.
- A selection of systems and products with Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) documentation
- Other sustainable credentials include: Compliance with EPA and SCAQMD VOC requirements, ISO 9001 Certified Quality Management System, ISO 14001 Certified Environmental Management System
*Life-cycle inventory conducted by Franklin Associates/ERG in April 2009
Projects and Case Studies