Building components have changed and evolved over the centuries, but the basic elements have remained the same: walls, floors and roofs. At Sto, our core business focuses first and foremost on the wall element. As a leading manufacturer of products for the construction industry, we deliver a wide range of high-performance wall systems, a complete line of spray-applied air and moisture barriers, and a broad range of architectural coatings.
Sto Corp. is a leading manufacturer of building envelope solutions, including: air and moisture barriers, integrated exterior wall systems, protective and decorative finishes and coating systems. Our premium solutions protect and enhance the design vision; structure and reputation behind every project, helping you build smarter from the outside in.
Air & Moisture Barriers
Engineered to provide superior protection against moisture intrusion and air leakage – and deliver significant energy savings in hot or cold climate.
Air and Moisture Barriers work by constructing an airtight building envelope. They are required in building walls regardless of region or climate. When properly applied, these components function together as an air barrier and seamless waterproofing barrier in the wall assembly and can reduce the risk of moisture problems, such as; decay, mold, corrosion, loss of insulation value and indoor air quality. The StoGuard® family of Air and Moisture Barrier products are designed to meet a wide variety of construction requirements.
Sto is a leading brand in the exterior insulated wall systems market.
Designed for energy-saving construction, our wall systems came onto the market in the 1960’s, long before the first oil crisis, the first thermal insulation regulations and even the first public discussion on environmentally friendly construction. Since then, our wall systems have undergone years of development and refinement, and are renowned for their high quality, innovation and technical superiority. They set benchmarks and changed the industry back then; they still are market-leading systems today. Sto high-performance wall systems include the air and moisture barrier, drainage and continuous insulation elements your walls need to be code compliant, energy-efficient and durable.
Heat loss can signiﬁcantly affect the cost of running a building, as well as the comfort of those inside. New energy codes*require the use of continuous insulation in wall assemblies for commercial and residential construction in most climate zones. Sto has more than 30 years of experience and practical application of insulated wall systems, which means that you can rely on us to provide the right solution for your needs.
Thermally insulating the exterior of the wall structure with continuous insulation makes good technical sense on a number of levels.
• The building is ﬁguratively wrapped in a thick, well-insulated and protective blanket
• The effects of thermal bridging are nulliﬁed and the detailing to achieve high thermal performance is greatly simpliﬁed
• When combined with high performance ﬁnishes, the insulation layer keeps the wall structure warm and dry. This further improves its thermal performance
• The use of continuous insulation on the outside of the wall maintains the temperature of the building wall structure above the ‘dew point’, effectively dealing with mold growth potential and other environmental issues
• Compliance with latest standards and codes (ASHRAE 90.1-2010 and IBC, IRC and IECC – 2012)
*2012 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC), which essentially adopts ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2010
Air & Weather Tightness
The thermal performance of a building owes more to just the insulating properties of the materials used. Whether or not the building is air and weather tight can have a considerable effect on thermal performance. A drafty, leaky building will undermine efforts to insulate, as heat will escape through the gaps. Preventing moisture from getting inside the wall assembly is also paramount as it helps reduce the risk of mold, mildew and the accompanying health hazards. The StoGuard® family of liquid-applied Air and Moisture barriers helps seal the building envelope and is a key component of all our high performance wall systems.
• ASTM E 2357 wall assembly air leakage less than 0.04 cfm/ft2 at 0.3” H2O (0.2 L/s•m2 at 75Pa)
• Potential savings of 40% in heating and cooling costs as per study by the Department of Energy*
• Low CO2 emissions
*US DOE 2008 Building Energy Data Book Section 1.1.1 2008
Fire Safety Compliance
Building codes are established to provide life safety to the building occupants, and ﬁre protection is a signiﬁcant aspect of the codes. Buildings must have ﬁre tested wall assemblies to meet all the strict requirements of the International Building Code (IBC). Sto has invested heavily in full-scale ﬁre tests. This process ensures that all our high quality wall systems have undergone extensive testing and evaluation and will perform well in a ﬁre situation.
• ICC Evaluation Reports are available that attest to the rigorous ﬁre testing Sto has performed on its wall systems
• Sto products are Class A ﬁre tested materials as per ASTM E 84 Flame Spread and Smoke Developed Fire testing
• Sto wall assemblies meet the requirements of:
–NFPA 285 ﬁre testing designed to evaluate the ﬁre performance of wall assemblies with combustible insulation or other combustible components (air and moisture barrier) for use in noncombustible type construction–NFPA 268 ﬁre testing designed to assess the potential for a ﬁre in one building to ignite an adjacent building–ASTM E 119 ﬁre testing designed to establish the hourly ﬁre resistance rating of the wall assembly
Eye Catching Aesthetics
Facade design is the art of giving buildings their own distinctive appearance and character through the use of form, color and texture. The appeal and physical quality of a building’s exterior are a measure of architectural accomplishment and craftsmanship and are crucial to the value of the property. Sto wall systems unify and meet the technical and aesthetic demands placed on the building envelope thanks to a wonderful range of unique surface aesthetics.
• Wide range of decorative and protective 100% Acrylic wall ﬁnishes which can be produced in virtually unlimited colors
• Sto has over 4 million color formulations
• Premium specialty ﬁnishes include eye-catching options such as the look of brick, granite, limestone, stucco and even metal
• Full range of high-performance coatings that provide superior fade resistance and UV resistance, excellent weatherability and protection against algae, mold and mildew
• Unique patented StoLit® Lotusan® ﬁnish with Lotus-effect® technology which can help keep building façade clean and dry long-term.
• Sto Studio, our integrated design studio provides color and texture consultation services as well as architectural color renderings
Sustainable and responsible action is part of our corporate philosophy. That is why thermal insulation is particularly close to our hearts. Our high-performance wall systems provide superior air and weather tightness, excellent long-lasting thermal performance, thus helping lower energy costs and reducing the carbon footprint of buildings.
• Sto exterior insulated wall systems outperform other claddings– such as brick or stucco–in terms of production energy, heating/cooling energy, solid waste, and greenhouse-gas emissions over a full 50 year life-cycle period*
• The high R-value of our insulated wall systems minimizes heating/cooling costs and reduces greenhouse gas emissions, thus making our systems truly sustainable
• Our lightweight insulated wall panel systems create less solid waste in production and at end-of-life than heavier claddings such as brick or stucco
• Many of our system components are recyclable products that can assist with LEED points
• Other sustainable credentials include:
–Compliance with EPA and SCAQMD VOC requirements–ISO 9001:2008 certiﬁed Quality Management System–ISO 14001:2004 certiﬁed Environmental Management System
*Life-cycle inventory conducted by Franklin Associates/ERG in April 2009
Cement Board Stucco
Sto offers a variety of specialty systems for your architectural projects.
Sto Hurricane Impact (HI) Systems: Provide a full range of exterior cladding options to protect against hurricane and tropical storm winds, water intrusion, and wind-borne debris, a major cause of building envelope failure.
Direct Applied Finish Systems for Soffits and Ceilings: The StoQuik® Gold System for Soffits is a Direct-Applied Exterior Finish System (DEFS) over Georgia-Pacific Dens-Glass® Gold sheathing for use in weather protected un-insulated exterior soffit or ceiling applications.
Interior Finish System for Pool Rooms: Decorative and protective finish system for interior walls and ceilings of a residential or commercial indoor swimming pool room.
Sto ACC (Aereated Autoclave) Finish System: Decorative and protective finish system for above grade exterior AAC wall construction.
Sto ICF (Insulated Concrete Form) Finish Systems: System of formwork for concrete that stays in place as permanent building insulation for energy-efficient, cast-in-place, reinforced concrete walls, floors, and roofs.
Sto has moved beyond the look of basic stucco to deliver unlimited opportunities for creativity.
Today, you can replicate virtually any look – including brick, granite, limestone and metal – with Sto Specialty Finishes. For the customization you want, coupled with the cost savings and performance you need, choose Sto Specialty Finishes.
Sto Finishes feature pure white marble aggregate, 100% acrylic polymers, and a variety of textures and integral color options to enhance the design and harmonize with the surrounding environment.
Sto delivers a full line of premium high performance coatings including primers, acrylic coatings, and elastomeric coatings that create dramatic visual appeal and safeguard your building’s value.
Sto architectural coatings and exterior coatings are able to repel wind driven rain, yet still allow a building to breathe. They are resistant to fading and buildup of dirt, mold and mildew for long lasting beauty. A variety of color and texture options within Sto Primer, StoCoat® Lotusan® and Stolastic® product lines give you a full array of design choices.